Published on 3rd Dec, 2007 in Online Marketing
Talk Like an Online Marketing Pro- 10 Terms You Have to Know
- SE- Search Engine. For example, Google is an SE.
- SEM– Search Engine Marketing. A group of sales and marketing strategies used to increase website visibility online. Usually includes SEO and PPC.
- SEO– Search Engine Optimization. Changing a website’s html code to increase its ranking on search engines.
- PPC– Pay Per Click. Online advertising model where you pay for each click your website receives. Google’s PPC service is known as AdWords.
- SEP– Search Engine Promotion. Another word for SEO.
- Spider– An automated robot which crawls the web using links on web pages.
- Spoof– Trying to fool or mislead a search engine. (Usually backfires and can get your website blacklisted).
- Landing Page– The homepage of your website. This is where a visitor first lands.
- SERP– Search Engine Results Page. If you search for a particular keyword and your website comes up 5th on the list, then your website is number 7 in the SERPs.
- Conversion– A successful action by the visitor. This can vary from getting a visitor to buy your product to signing up for your newsletter. This is usually expressed in terms of a ratio. For example, you get a 100 visitors per day, and 10 of them end up purchasing your product. This would be a 10% conversion rate.