Published on 29th Nov, 2007 in Online Marketing
Now Is Gone- A Must Read for 2007
By: Shama Hyder
I have two vices- books and good food. Due to my first vice, I have read over 200 books this year alone. And one book that really stands out in my mind is Now Is Gone by Geoff Livingston and Brian Solis.
The book is a primer on New Media and serves as a guide into the fast changing world of media for the average business owner. While it won’t show you how to create a strategy, it will explain why it is crucial that you pay attention to the current changes, because truly…now is gone.
Here are the main take-aways-
- Two-Way communication is the only way to inspire trust and gain credibility with clients. You have to be open to feedback, and you have to interact with your customers.
- You can’t fake it. If you don’t care about your clients and try to pull one over…well, you can’t. If you try, you will not be in the marketplace for long.
- Community- build it, value it, and learn from it. They could have named the book "Engaging Your People"-and it would have worked just as well. (But, Now Is Gone does sound cooler.)
- Make it easy for your people to give you feedback and interact with you. If you pretend to have an open door policy you will fail. The solution-actually have an open door policy.
- Honesty, integrity, and ethics have always mattered. But now, you can’t pull one over on the people.
- Authenticity is king.
Bravo Geoff and Brian! If you would like to grab your own copy (highly recommended), you can find this book listed on the left side bar of this page.