Published on 13th Jun, 2011 in Twitter Marketing
New to Twitter: How-to Find Influencers to Maximize Efforts
Setting Up a Company Twitter ProfileThe day you decide to get your company/brand/self on twitter is the same day you should commit to reaching out to ten people/companies/organizations multiple times in the coming weeks.Twitter itself is overwhelming to someone new on the site. There are many key steps you must take to really prepare yourself to use Twitter both efficiently and effectively. Because of this, I would like to take today to help you out with a very, very important (and often confusing) step.
Getting Acquainted with Twitter as a Business Tool: Steps 1-3The first step being, read as many articles as you can about appropriate and valuable content to post on your twitter account and the Twitter managment how-tos you can (and strategize a plan that integrates your other marketing efforts). The second step is to fully complete your Twitter profile and determine a custom look and voice. The third step is all about posting quality content on your page so it isn’t empty (and awkward to visitors discovering your new profile). The fourth step: Find a few people to follow that are relevant to your business/brand and start following them (RT if you see something good but don’t go RT crazy. You really don’t want your Twitter feed to be full of everyone’s posts but your own).
The Fourth Step: Find some influencers and get to work!When I say influencers I am referring to Twitter users who rise above the following standards:
- Valuable Content (Engaging, Relevant, Useful/Unique)
- Appropriate Frequency (daily & good number of posts/day)
- High Quality Interaction (no spammers or RT-addicts)
Your first task: Write out a ListWrite a list of keywords (to search for on Twitter) that would help direct you to…
- Your Industry Occupations and Common Glossary Terms
- Twitter users in your industry (businesses/organizations/associations)
- Twitter users that write about your industry (media/industry journals and publications)
- Twitter users that are (!BAM!) your competitors
- Occupations of your target audiences
Your second task: The Big Twitter Search-Off
- Search a top keyword or most popular competitor/industry association
- See who a) they are following b) is mentioning them c) is following them d) is listing them e) is RT-ing them … in that order.
- Start clicking on the Twitter handles you see (usernames) and look through lists to find people and investigate further.
Some Useful Tools for Twitter Search:Help from Twitter:
- Twitter’s Guide to Search
- Become a Twitter Search Master Use Search Operators
Your third task: InvestigateAfter you’ve compiled a list of Twitter users-of-interest, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is their content valuable to your audiences? (Engaging, Relevant, Useful/Unique)
- Was their last post yesterday? Are they tweeting 3-8 posts throughout the day, every/almost everyday (mix of original content, RTs and Mentions)
- Are their interactions (RTs & Mentions) relevant to your business/industry/audiences?
- Twitter Handle | Type of Product/Service/Business | Follwers: ## | Listed: ##
- Twitter Profile Bio:
- Website URL:
- Last Tweet:
- Tweet Frequency:
- Interaction Level: Low – Med – High
- Quality: 1 or 2 (1 = great content you would share with your audience; looks like they would be interested in sharing your content; influencer potential; 2 = too many personal tweets; too man RTs or not enough original/valuable/relevant information).
Your fourth task: Pick your top 10 influencers and go!Analyze the grade report you developed based on task 3. This report is something you can quickly scan and use to determine the first 10 people you will try to develop a relationship with (through sharing valuable content/mutual RTing & mentioning). Look at how you’ve ranked them and choose ten to start out with based on whichever areas are most important to you. Note: It may be hard to keep up with more than ten when you’re just getting started/if you are the lone social media resource for your company.Once you have your ten, make your presence known and begin building the relationship!
- RT their content
- Mention them with an article link they shared, thank them for the tip, and write a custom message for your audience on why it is a good link.
- …stay tuned for part 2 of this article: How-to Build Relationships With Your Twitter Influencers to Maximize Your Efforts and Gain Followers!