MZ Featured Social Media Marketing Intern: Sydney Brodie
Here at Marketing Zen, we’re pretty much obsessed – we eat, breathe, and sleep online marketing, and absolutely love what we do! So it’s only natural that we’d want to share the fun with the next generation. Our internship program gives college students the chance to dip their toes into the waters of web marketing, and learn valuable skills to help them land their dream jobs when they enter the workforce. Today, we’d like to introduce you to Sydney Brodie, one of our promising young social media marketing interns. We’ll let Sydney tell you herself how she’s enjoying the experience.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself!
My name is Sydney, I’m currently a rising junior at the University of Florida and I’m an English and Mass Communication major. If you can’t tell from my major, I’m really passionate about writing and I’m typically reading about 5 different books at any given time!
2. What is something unusual about you that makes you unique?
I have so many different hobbies! Probably my favorite thing to do is cook and bake. One of my dreams in the future is to actually go to culinary school part-time just so I can call myself a real chef! I also run a blog in my spare time where I write about fashion, beauty, food and anything else that comes to my mind. It’s been a great way to combine my love for social media, graphic design and writing all into one.
3. What made you want to intern with the awesomeness that is Marketing Zen?
I got a little taste of social media marketing at my last internship and I knew I definitely wanted to explore that more. I found Marketing Zen on an internship database and it sounded like an awesome opportunity to learn more!
4. Tell us a little about what you do as an intern for your department at MZ.
I work in social media marketing, so basically I’m responsible for updating all my clients’ social media accounts. I also help brainstorm monthly social media strategies, which is a lot of fun for me. I also help develop new graphics and marketing campaigns to increase brand awareness and hopefully get a few re-tweets here and there!
5. How cool is working virtually?The coolest. I love being able to work in sweatpants!
6. What has been your favorite part of your internship so far?By far my favorite thing is getting to flex my creative muscles and challenge myself to come up with new ideas. I love working in such a creative industry. Also, being the social media addict that I am, getting to spend all day on Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram isn’t so bad either!
7. What has been the most challenging part of your internship so far?The most challenging part also happens to be the most fun and that’s being creative. Sometimes, my brain is fried and I just can’t think of a new idea. However, when my creativity is working for me it’s the best!
8. What do you feel is the most important thing you’ve learned from your marketing internship so far? Why is this the most important thing to you? So far, I’ve learned how to balance and prioritize my time. Working virtually, it can sometimes be easy to slack off or get distracted. Especially working with so many social media outlets, it’s easy to catch myself pinning away for hours! However, I’ve learned I really need to plan out my days and allot each task a certain amount of time so I don’t get sidetracked so easily.
9. How would you describe MZ culture?MZ culture is the best. I love how laid back everyone is! They all take the work very seriously, but everyone is so nice, fun and really helpful. I’ve never felt like I couldn’t ask a question or give my ideas on a project and that’s super important—especially in an internship!
10. What are your supervisors like? Any funny stories to share about them? Goofy personality quirks? How are they as teachers?
My supervisor, Katie, is the sweetest! She gives me a lot of creative freedom, which is so awesome. I never expected to contribute so much, just being an intern, but I truly feel like she values my opinions and ideas!
11. Now that you’ve had a glimpse into the world of online marketing, do you have any new insights into how it works? Any comments or opinions you’d like to share about the industry?
Honestly, I feel like I’m only beginning to understand the world of online marketing myself. It changes so rapidly that it’s hard to keep up! But that’s actually what I love most about it. No day is ever the same and it’s definitely not boring!
12. What are your plans for your future? What’s your dream job? How do you feel your marketing internship with MZ will help you achieve those goals?
After graduation, I want to move back home to NYC (most of my family is from there) and pursue my career in marketing or PR. My dream job would probably be to run my own consumer PR firm and teach clients how to be masters of social media.
13. Do you have any advice to share with future MZ interns, or with those applying for this position?
Apply, apply, apply! I almost didn’t apply, because I wasn’t sure how a virtual internship would work for me, but I’m so glad that I did. It’s been my favorite internship I’ve done so far and it’s crazy to think I almost let the opportunity pass by. Even if you don’t have experience in social media, apply anyway. Everyone here is more than willing to teach and I’ve learned so much so far! Are you interested an internship at Marketing Zen? Click here for more information! We’d love to have you on board!