MZ Featured Content Marketing Intern: Matthew McFarlane
- posted in: Content Marketing
Here at Marketing Zen, we’re pretty much obsessed – we eat, breathe, and sleep online marketing, and absolutely love what we do! So it’s only natural that we’d want to share the fun with the next generation. Our internship program gives college students the chance to dip their toes into the waters of web marketing, and learn valuable skills to help them land their dream jobs when they enter the workforce
Today, we’d like to introduce you to Matthew McFarlane, one of our promising young content marketing interns. We’ll let Matthew tell you himself how he’s enjoying the experience.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself!
My name is Matt McFarlane, I’m from Alton, Illinois and I go to the University of Missouri- Columbia (Mizzou). I’m currently about to enter my senior year and I’m an English major with a minor in Italian Language.
2. What is something unusual about you that makes you unique?
This past semester I studied abroad in Perugia, Italy for four months. I got to travel all over Italy and Europe, meet incredible people, and experience some unforgettable settings. It was really just an amazing experience for me.
3. How did you first hear about Marketing Zen?
I first heard about Marketing Zen through a website that helps students connect with internships in their field of study.
4. Why did you apply for a content marketing internship with MZ?
I enjoy writing in just about any form, and from the description of the position it sounded as though I would have a chance to sharpen some of my writing skills. I researched Marketing Zen a little, and I came away with a good feeling about it, so I decided to apply.
5. Tell us a little about what you do as an intern for the Content Marketing Department at MZ.
As an intern, I have been writing blogs for several different companies that use Marketing Zen’s services. I get my assignments on Monday, usually with deadlines spaced throughout the week. Each assignment usually includes one or two blogs that I need to write, sometimes with special instructions attached. I generally split them up and work on one or two each day as the week progresses.
6. How do you feel about working virtually?
It’s actually been a much smoother process than I anticipated. There was an initial period where I had to get used to the fact that I wouldn’t be meeting anyone in person, but with the technology we have at our disposal, it really hasn’t been an issue at all.
7. What has been your favorite part of your internship so far?
I like that the topics for my blogs can vary so much from week to week. One week I could be writing about fitness or clothing, and the next week my assignment might be on emerging technology. It’s a nice way to learn about new ideas and concepts that I might never have heard about otherwise.
8. What has been the most challenging part of your internship so far?
I would have to say the most challenging part has been managing my time while working at home. It is summer, and with all my free time and the nice weather it can sometimes be a challenge getting myself to sit down at the computer. I’ve been getting better as the weeks have gone by, but there are still those beautiful days when it’s hard not to stare out the window.
9. What do you feel is the most important thing you’ve learned from your content marketing internship so far? Why is this the most important thing to you?
I think one of the most important things I have learned is how to make a deadline working from home. Like I said, working from home can lull you into the feeling that you have all the time in the world – until you don’t. I think I’ve gained a better understanding of how and when I work best.
10. How would you describe MZ culture?
I’ve really enjoyed working at MZ so far. Even working virtually, there isn’t any trouble communicating or getting ahold of anyone when I have questions. I’m working on a deadline, but it doesn’t have a stereotypical, high pressure “go, go, go” feel to it.
11. Now that you’ve had a glimpse into the world of online marketing, do you have any new insights into how it works? Any comments or opinions you’d like to share about the industry?
I really wasn’t sure what to expect coming into the internship. I don’t think I realized how big it can be for a company to have a prominent online presence. I’ve definitely come away with a new outlook on how a business should promote itself in an online world.
12. What are your plans for your future? What’s your dream job? How do you feel your content marketing internship with MZ will help you achieve those goals?
I can’t say I have any plans set in stone yet. I think I’ll just have to see where my last year of college takes me. I think my dream job would be anywhere that I could be writing and be happy in my work. My internship with MZ is showing me opportunities that I really didn’t even know existed, and giving me the skills to take advantage of those opportunities.
13. Do you have any advice to share with future MZ interns, or with those applying for this position?
I would say just keep an open mind, have a sense of excitement going into it, and be ready to write about anything and everything.
Are you interested an internship at Marketing Zen? Click here for more information! We’d love to have you on board!