How to Change Your Twitter Username
- posted in: Online Marketing
As I work on changing my last name (from Hyder to Kabani), I have to give serious thought to my personal online brand. Most people know me as Shama Hyder, and I struggled with the decision to change it. Then, it occured to me that there aren’t many Shama(s) out there, so I could just brand my first name. I promptely went out and bought Shama.Tv and proceeded to see if Twitter.com/Shama was available.
It wasn’t. But, it hadn’t been used for over a year. I remember Biz Stone (co founder of Twitter) saying that if an account hadn’t been used for 9 months, I could email Twitter support and ask them to make the switch. This was last October. I submitted ticket after support ticket to Twitter support-but to no avail. Then, finally, @admore on Twitter pointed me to this great article on how to snap up a twitter name.
So, I followed the SAME process and now, I am officially on Twitter as @Shama.
Here is what I did:
1. Emailed email@example.com and provided them with:
- the username I wanted
- my current username
- answered whether I wanted to KEEP my current account and add this one or switch it over (while retaining my followers and messages). I chose to switch it over.
2. Received a confirmation email.
3. I woke up the next morning to find that my username had been changed!
I haven’t seen this process documented anywhere else but the site mentioned above. Going through support does nothing, so if you want to change your username on Twitter, follow the directions above. And, while you retain your friends, be sure to let them know your new username.