How to Change Your Twitter Header Image
- posted in: Marketing
This morning, Twitter rolled out a slew of new updates and features. These changes include new options for customizing the appearance and layout of user profiles, as well as mobile app updates that support these profile changes while adding speed, functionality, and a more user-friendly design.
The profile changes are designed to look great on both the website and on mobile apps, emphasizing shared visual content by prominently displaying the last six images uploaded by a user. However, the biggest change announced earlier today is undoubtedly the ability for users to add a header image to their profile, much like the ones that currently exist for Facebook and Google+. These aesthetic changes may seem minor at first, but for brands – or individuals – seeking to establish a defined, unique identity on social media, the ability to add more eye-catching and identifying visual elements to their profiles can help them create a more unified online marketing branding message to their Twitter profiles.
How to Get the New Twitter Header
For now, Twitter isn’t pushing the new profile changes automatically, which means you have the option to do nothing and keep the old profile layout, if you choose to. If you’re ready to update, however, switching to the new profile layout and adding a custom header image is simple. The process is slightly different depending on whether you’re accessing Twitter through the website or using an app, so we’ll outline the steps for changing your profile through both the website and the iPad app.
- After logging in to your account, head to the profile editing page by visiting https://twitter.com/settings/design. You can also access this page by either clicking on the “Edit your profile” button on your profile page or the Settings gear on the right side of the top menu bar and selecting “Edit profile”, and clicking “Design” on the left menu.
- Scroll down past the familiar premade themes, and you’ll see the new “Header” option. Here, you can choose an image from your computer to upload as your new header.
- Once you’ve chosen the image, you’ll have the ability to zoom or reposition it before uploading.
- Navigate to your profile page by clicking on the “Me” icon on the bottom of the menu on the left of the screen.
- Click the Settings gear, and select “Edit profile”
- Select the “Header” option at the top of the menu that pops up.
- Choose an image file from your mobile device. Devices equipped with cameras will also give you the option of taking a new photo. Just like on the website, you have the opportunity to adjust the size and positioning of the image before adding it