From Generic to Best Seller-5 Steps to Changing your Personal Brand Name (Part III)
- posted in: Online Marketing
This post is part three of a three part series on personal branding. Here are Part I, and Part II. This article shows you how to change your personal brand name.
In part I we established that just like products, people also have brand names. This is especially true if you are working with others in your business. In part 2, we discussed how you can find out what your current ‘brand name’ is.
Now let’s look at how you can change it!
1) Shine the Light. You already have natural qualities. Personal branding is all about shining light on them. You don’t have to fake your personality to create a powerful personal brand. The best way is to leverage your already existing positive traits. For example, if you are an introverted business owner you don’t have to fake being an extrovert. Instead shine the light on your superior listening skills or your compassion for your customers.
2) Expand your Circle. If you want to shine the light on certain personal qualities, find others who already personify them. Let’s say that you want to build your personal brand around your keen analytical skills. In fact, you want your business to scream the same. The best way is to dind others who are already doing it. Look around you and find people who already have a well established personal brand (whether they realize it or not) and become a keen observer. How do they personify their personal brand? Is it their dressing? Is it their language? Once you understand their personal tools-create your own!
3) Redecorate. You office space (at home or otherwise) tells a lot about you. In fact, I can usually tell a person’s ‘brand name’ within the first thirty second of looking at their office space. Look around your own personal space and try to look at it from an outsider’s perspective. Is your cup holder filthy? (Translation: Doesn’t care enough). Are there pictures of your family? (Translation: Cares about his/her relationships). Now, pick out the things that don’t fit your new brand name. You might argue that no one sees your office space and that it is your personal sanctuary. Fair enough. But know that your personal brand begins from within. If you aren’t truly organized but try to give off that image, someone will eventually see through it. If you are serious about changing your personal brand, it is best to do it from the inside out.
4) Change the Way you Dress. Studies prove that people are more likely to do a favor for a person in business suit than for someone who is dressed more casually. Always dress a notch above the people you will be meeting with. It is a sign of respect, not arrogance. The way you dress says a lot about your personal brand name as well. You don’t have to wear Armani suits to work, but a well pressed shirt and a strand of simple pearls (for women) can go a long way. The way someone dresses can tell you a lot about their personal brand.
5) Keep it Fresh- Constructing and enhancing your personal brand name is a lifetime affair. No matter what your personal brand is-keep it fresh. Become aware of your strongest strengths and seek out opportunities in your life and business to shine the light on them.