Email marketing is one of the most effective – but also one of the most complex – pieces of the digital marketing puzzle. What with maintaining subscriber lists, dealing with email marketing laws, choosing the right email marketing provider, designing and writing each email, deciding when and how often to send, and then analyzing open and click-through rates to find out what to tweak each time, it’s enough to make anyone a little cross-eyed.
And yet, no other online marketing activity brings you into such regular, direct contact with your audience, using a platform that belongs solely to your company, and thus will never be subject to sudden algorithm changes or a switch to paid ads.
With all the hard work necessary for a successful email marketing campaign, and all the very real benefits your business stands to reap from it, the worst thing that could happen would be a delivery crisis. Above all else, you need to ensure that your emails are being delivered, staying out of people’s spam folders – and out of the crosshairs of ISP anti-spam filters.
If people aren’t receiving your emails, it doesn’t matter how well-designed they are, or how much research went into the science of sending them; not only will no one see them, but your reputation with ISPs will get steadily worse with each one you send, damaging your company’s future email deliverability prospects, as well.
With that in mind, we’ve put together a list of 5 email deliverability secrets to help you ensure that all your hard work pays off.
1. Trim your subscriber list regularly. As counterintuitive as it may seem to cut your subscriber list, it’s vital to do so in order to keep your reputation pristine. Any time you have bounces, people marking your emails as spam, or even just too many inactive subscribers, you are risking your good standing with internet service providers. Make sure you go through your list on a regular basis and remove those who are not at least opening your emails every once in a while. This way, your open and click-through rates will be much healthier – making your reputation with ISPs that much better.
2. Be consistent. ISPs love it when marketing emails are sent at regular intervals, at the same time, on the same day each week or month, from the same IP address, using the same “From” name and email address. Consistency is a great way to let them know they can trust you, thus cementing your reputation even more.
3. Get consent – and then get it again. Of course you have an opt-in form on your site for people to sign up to receive your emails – but do you require a double opt-in, as well? The more steps your subscribers go through to confirm that they do in fact want to receive your emails, the more likely they are to be the engaged subscribers you want – and the more likely it is that your reputation with ISPs will benefit. So don’t stop at the double opt-in – also ask subscribers to add you to their contacts list, so your emails are sure to be delivered.
4. Make it even easier to unsubscribe. Every email you send includes an unsubscribe link, but it’s most likely at the very bottom, right? Try moving it to the very top of your email. Subscribers who want to receive your messages will ignore it, while those who want to be removed from your list will be able to find it much more quickly, thus reducing the chances that they’ll just mark your emails as spam because it’s easier.
5. Keep every email relevant. Your subscribers opted in to your email marketing list for a specific reason – they wanted the information you promised them. If your email topics ever become stagnant, or stop providing the particular information promised in favor of something else, you can bet that a flurry of unsubscribes will follow. Make sure you continue to provide content that your subscribers want – that’s the very best way to ensure an engaged audience, a stellar reputation with ISPs, and the highest email deliverability possible.
If you’d like help implementing an effective email marketing program for your business, give Marketing Zen a call today. Our extensive experience providing email marketing services to our clients will ensure that your message gets delivered every time – and not just delivered, but opened, read, and acted upon by an engaged audience.